Feta optical sizes

From: Sam Speer
Subject: Feta optical sizes
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 08:53:48 -0600

Dear list,

I'd like to create a heavier/thicker look for some of my engravings, and one way which might work nicely is to bump up the optical weight of the feta font.

For example, I'd like to have a staff size of 16 or 17, but use feta14 or feta11.

But I can't seem to find how to do this. Searching through the manuals for font information, one finds mostly information about text fonts, or sometimes how to adjust the notation font size with macros like \tiny. I don't want the noteheads or other objects to be smaller though -- just to use the glyphs from the thicker font weight. Another macro which doesn't seem to apply is \magnifyMusic which adjusts everything, including the staff.

I'm fine adjusting all of the other lines (staff, beams, stems, barlines, ledger lines) myself; those are straightforward. It's just this font swap which I can't figure out.

I'd like to do something like this:

\paper {
  #(define fonts
    (set-global-fonts
     #:music "emmentaler-14" ; font filename without suffix and extension
     #:brace "emmentaler-14" ; font filename without suffix and extension
   ))
}

But as you can see from the comment, you are not supposed to include the suffix and in fact this code doesn't work. You have to set the global font as a whole "family" as it were. Besides, if I did this, I wouldn't be able to have smaller staves for some instruments and use a heavier weight for just that staff.

One workaround that I've thought of is to calculate a smaller page size and staff size which would blow up to my desired dimensions, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Another solution which Urs and Janek used for their Fried score was to marginally increase the font size of each score item by custom amounts, trying to create glyphs which still look like they "fit" in the staff but were a bit bolder. A third workaround that occurs to me is to create an "EmmentalerTwo" font which just transposes the weights the way I'd like. So you can see that I'm able to workaround if necessary. I'm only wondering if there is a simpler code-based way which I am not finding.

Here are some of the pages I've consulted that are most relevant:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/essay/engraving-details#optical-sizing
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size (auto font weight section)
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/replacing-the-notation-font
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/fried-library-to-be-sorted/lied-stylesheet.ily