Re: need help with 2.22 on mac

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: need help with 2.22 on mac
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 08:38:46 +0100

Le 12 déc. 2022 à 08:22, Flaming Hakama by Elaine <elaine@flaminghakama.com> a écrit :

On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 3:53 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
Le 12/12/2022 à 00:45, Flaming Hakama by Elaine a écrit :
> tl;dr:
>
> Does anyone have a download link of lilypond 2.22 that will work for
> mac OS 12.6.1?
>
> I recently had to reinstall my mac OS.  It is now 12.6.1.
> Previously I had an earlier version of 12, most likley 12.1,
> based on the fact that the last time I had to do this was in January 2022.
> I had been running lilypond 2.22.2 successfully,
> and would like to run this version again.
>
> When running the version of lilypond 2.22
> that I get from the download page https://lilypond.org/macos-x.html
> I get the error "Bad CPU type in executable"
>
> I know that I previously did not build my own, nor use homebrew or
> macports.
> But I don't recall where I downloaded it.
> Likely, from some hero who built it using macports then posted the binary.
>
> So, does anyone know where I can get a version of lilypond 2.22
> that might work for macos 12.6.1?
>

> (I did try the latest dev version, but even after fixing convert-ly
> errors,
> it did not work for me.  Produced an error that I could not diagnose:
>
> Preprocessing graphical objects...ERROR: In procedure %resolve-variable:
> Unbound variable: laissez-vibrer::print)

The 2.24 stable release is going to happen next week, so I would
recommend not chasing a working 2.22 version but just upgrading to 2.23.82.

Your error sounds like you have some Scheme code that uses
laissez-vibrer::print, and it will probably work if you replace that
with ly:tie::print, and if that doesn't work, show the code so we can help.

Best,
Jean

As I mentioned, I did try 2.23, and I applied convert-ly to all my files.

The problem I ran into was:

    Preprocessing graphical objects...ERROR: In procedure %resolve-variable:
    Unbound variable: laissez-vibrer::print

However, unlike most of the previous errors that could be fixed,
because they tell you a file name and line number and the offending code,
this error does not tell me a file name nor line number.

It likely will if you add at the top of your .ly file, before any includes:

#(ly:set-option 'compile-scheme-code)

(Caveat for other people reading this list: this does not work on Windows currently.)

Without that, I don't know how to address the issue.
I don't really write scheme code, so it is unlikely to be something I wrote.
I have cut & pasted some scheme code from LSR into some libraries I include,
but I did convert-ly on those already.

How to address the issue is what I tried to explain above.

You need to find where your code uses "laissez-vibrer::print" (compile-scheme-code should help to pinpoint it), and replace that with "ly:tie::print".

Also, has \laissezVibrer changed since 2.22?
Does that even sound like something that would be related to the version upgrade?

Yes. The syntax of \laissezVibrer has not changed but there was a minor change in its internals.

Regards,
Jean