Re: How to color dynamics

From: Paul McKay
Subject: Re: How to color dynamics
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 17:26:00 +0000

Awesome, thanks!

On Fri, 23 Dec 2022, 20:06 Jean Abou Samra, <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

Le 23 déc. 2022 à 20:56, Paul McKay <plmcky@gmail.com> a écrit :

Hi
I'm making a setting of some music with repeated melodies. The dynamics on the second repeat are slightly different in that some appear to have been omitted from the first time. I'd like to use the same code, but to show the "possibly omitted" dynamic marks in a different color. I have tried the following: the color of the dynamic marks is not altered. What do I need to do?

You need to use the right grob. DynamicText is for \p, \f and the like, DynamicTextSpanner is for \cresc and \decresc, while DynamicLineSpanner is an invisible grob that aligns consecutive dynamics vertically. The grob printed by \< is a Hairpin. You can also use \tweak if you put it at the right place:

2\tweak color red\<

For what it’s worth, one noteworthy change in version 2.24 is that the Internals Reference now has a description of each grob. For example, you can learn here what a DynamicLineSpanner is: https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/internals/dynamiclinespanner

Regards,
Jean