Scoop and bend

From: Benjamin Tordoff
Subject: Scoop and bend
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 11:54:39 +0000

Hi all, I’ve recently been type-setting some saxophone parts that employ quite
a lot of glissandi, note-bends, falls, and scoops. Lilypond has the glissando
and fall (bendAfter) covered, but I’m struggling to find a good solution for
scoop (basically “bendBefore”) or bend (in the originals this is indicated like
a glissando down a tone and back to the same note). A hand-drawn example is
attached.

I managed something passable using hidden grace-notes and adjusting the slur
offset, but the appearance isn’t ideal and seems sensitive to the overall score
spacing. Not to mention that it adds bizarre notes to the midi output. Any
suggestions for something more robust would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

PNG image