Re: Unexpected placement of accidental

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Unexpected placement of accidental
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 09:46:20 +0100

Le 05/01/2023 à 07:26, Ahanu Banerjee a écrit :
Hello,

Please see the example below. I tried running it in 2.22 and 2.23 as well, and got the same result. Am I missing an obvious reason that the c-natural accidental is placed so far to the left?

\version "2.24.0"
\language "english"
\relative {
  \clef bass
  \key a \major
  % unexpected placement of "c-natural" accidental
  <f, c' a' f'> s4*3
  % expected placement shown here
  \break <f c' a' c>
}

According to classical engraving rules, accidentals for notes of the
same pitch at different octaves should be placed at the same horizontal
position. In the first case, there are accidentals for two F notes,
which must be aligned. If the C note's natural were placed as close
as possible to its note head, the two F naturals would need to be
placed farther, which would look bad for the higher F, and LilyPond
basically favors the F naturals because there are two of them.

The same effect is at play in the second example: the C notes
get the priority for being placed closer to the note heads because
there are two of them.

Best,
Jean