Re: \stopStaff \startStaff bug

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: \stopStaff \startStaff bug
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 17:30:51 +0100

Le 07/01/2023 à 17:11, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
Could you explain this a bit more, please? This is a position I’ve never quite
understood about Issue #34: I would love to see an input where I can’t
determine the output with certainty just from the input.

Just take the example I gave earlier and remove the grace skips.

\version "2.24.0"

<<
  \new Staff { \grace { c'8 d'8 } c'1 }
  \new Staff {
    \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.color = "red"
    \once \override NoteHead.color = "red"
    c'1
  }

(looks like the staves are swapped if you remove \new Staff...).

Do the overrides occur before the graces? In that case,
the NoteHead one has no effect, because \once applies
to the next time step only, and the next time step is
for a grace note another voice. Do they occur after?
In that case, the TimeSignature one has no effect, because
the TimeSignature grob was created before the graces.
The latter is the currently chosen interpretation.

So what do you do for an arbitrary \once \override? Especially
if there is a Scheme engraver that might decide to create this
grob at any time?