Re: Feedback request on image formats

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Feedback request on image formats
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 20:28:43 +0100

Hello,

Le 12/01/2023 à 20:01, NickS a écrit :
Personally I certainly much prefer vector formats, as these scale much better in documents, are more editable if customisation is required, and they can easily be batch-converted into raster formats of the required resolution if needed.

My main usage case is including Lilypond snippets in large LaTeX documents via lilypond-book, which means EPS format, and I would certainly not want to lose this functionality! (My current project is a 500-page LaTeX document containing over 1600 Lilypond snippets!).

My second usage case is importing Lilypond snippets into LibreOffice Impress to create presentation slides. In this case EPS files, once imported, can't be broken into their components, while SVG files can be broken into their components but the text elements are imported as individual Bezier curve objects for each character and I have to manually replace them with text objects. In this case the best solution I have found is:

  * import Lilypond generated SVG files into Inkscape
  * export the result as (plain) SVG,
  * import the SVG into LibreOffice Impress where I can break it into
    its components (that include real text objects for the text elements).

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. My request was about
the formats that you can import *into* LilyPond. You seem to be talking
about the formats that LilyPond can produce, to include LilyPond output
into other software. There are no planned changes to the formats LilyPond
can produce.

Best,
Jean