Re: Repeat segno weirdness

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Repeat segno weirdness
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 13:41:47 +0100

Hello Jeff,

If I were to reduce what you are doing we’d have something like this

\relative c'' {
  R1*4 \bar "||"
  \repeat segno 2 {
    \alternative {
      { R1*4 }
      {
        \section
        \sectionLabel "Coda"

  % Coda
  R1*4
}

So you are basically telling Lilypond: After some measures we have a segno,
then the first time we play this part, then we jump back to the segno, but
skipt the whole repeat part and  directly jump to the coda, which Lilypond
correctly indicates by putting a volta bracket over the whole thing (actually
you are almost asking for the volta bracket by manually specifying \volta 1).
I suppose what you actually want to say is:

After some measures we have a segno, then we have the repeat part, at the end
we jump back to segno, repeat the repeat part and then jump to coda, which
would be done like this:

\relative c'' {
  R1*4 \bar "||"
  \repeat segno 2 {
    R1*4
    \alternative {
      { }
      {
        \section
        \sectionLabel "Coda"
        % Coda
        R1*4

Alternatively if you want to have: After some measures put a segno, play the
repeat part, jump back to segno, play only part of the repeat part and jump to
coda you’d do:

\relative c'' {
  R1*4 \bar "||"
  \repeat segno 2 {
    R1*2
    \alternative {
      { R1*2 }
      {
        \section
        \sectionLabel "Coda"
        % Coda
        R1*4

The marks used for the segnos and codas and dal segnos and poi la codas and
stuff can be set to whatever you want.

Cheers,
Valentin