Re: irrational meters

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: irrational meters
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 01:43:48 +0100

Le 18/01/2023 à 01:29, David Zelinsky a écrit :
No, it's really not quirky.  A "rational" number is a ratio of two
integers.  An irrational number is one that cannot be so expressed.  The
word "ratio" comes from Latin for calculation.  The common english usage
of "rational" meaning sensible presumably stems from the ancient Greeks
view that only rational numbers make sense.  But the mathematical
definition is really more fundamental.  More rational, one might say :)

Oh, I was being sarcastic against the fallacious “argument”.
I know what a rational number is; I've been a math student,
you know :)