Re: Repeat Segno with MIDI

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Re: Repeat Segno with MIDI
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 15:25:35 -0500

Jean,
Ahh... of course. I had forgotten that LilyPond doesn't require the braces for a single note, but does for anything more.
Thank you!
Mark

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 3:17 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
Le 22/01/2023 à 21:05, Mark Mathias a écrit :
> I'm not seeing a post from anyone else exactly on this issue, so...
>
> I like the new repeat structure:
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/long-repeats#segno-repeat-structure
>
> The example works with the whole note after volta 1, but if you add
> more notes, change the rhythm, etc., the pdf doesn't display properly
> and MIDI generates a warning and doesn't execute the repeat properly.
> If you put curly brackets around the volta 1 section the problem
> disappears.
>
> Is this a bug, or am I missing something (as usual).

To explain it by analogy, it's as if you had written

{
   \transpose c' d'
   a b c' d' e' f' g'
}

and expected \transpose to transpose everything after it.
That's not how it works. Unlike things like \clef and \time,
commands like \transpose, \repeat and \volta apply to
a music argument, so you need to write

{
   \transpose c' d' {
     a b c' d' e' f' g'

If you don't put the braces in

\volta 1 a4 a a a

it's as if you had written

\volta 1 {
   a4
}
a a a

The notes after the first one are not included in the argument
to \volta, and thus not part of the volta, which makes LilyPond
legitimately confused.

Regards,
Jean