Re: fingering and pedal marking questions

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: fingering and pedal marking questions
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:07:06 -0800

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 12:00 PM Knute Snortum <ksnortum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe this is what you're looking for?
>
> \version "2.22.2"
>
> leftHand = {
>   \clef bass
>  e,2 g,  |
> }
> pedal = {
>   \set Dynamics.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
>   % \override Dynamics.SustainPedal.self-alignment-X = #CENTER
>   % The line below does what you want, I believe
>   \override Dynamics.PianoPedalBracket.shorten-pair = #'(1 . -1)
>   s2\sustainOn s2\sustainOff \sustainOn
> }
>
> \score {
>
>    <<
>      \new Staff = "leftHand"  {  \leftHand  }
>      \new Dynamics { \pedal }
>    >>

> }

What is confusing to me though is that this snippet from the manual
seems to have pedalling in the center by default, without any
fiddling.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/piano

\relative {
  c''4\sustainOn g c2\sustainOff
  \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
  c4\sustainOn g c d
  d\sustainOff\sustainOn g, c2\sustainOff
  \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
  c4\sustainOn g c d
  d\sustainOff\sustainOn g, c2
  \bar "|."

Knute Snortum