Re: Message size limit

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: Re: Message size limit
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 16:57:42 +0100

Am Sat, Mar 04, 2023 at 04:45:07PM +0100 schrieb Robin Bannister:
> Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've been informed that the size of messages to this list containing large
> > attachments is occasionally clogging up the GNU list server's mail delivery
> > queue, causing distribution delays (not just for this list, but for
> > everyone on the hundreds of other gnu.org lists).
> >
> > To avoid this, your friendly list admins have configured a max message
> > size of 512KB.

> Is there any specific advice for users taking screenshots?

Crop, use the proper format¹, and optimise prior to sending. Depending on
how (with which tool) the screenshot was made, there is lots of room for
reducing the filesize. For that, use `optipng -o9 <filename>`. It will
reduce the PNG colour palette and apply stronger compression settings, but
is still lossless.

For small and medium images, PNG is of course the best option. But if a
larger area needs to be pictued which exceeds the permitted file size, JPG
is still good enough. It may introduce artifacts, but compresses much higher
and the relevant info is still visible.

> Especially inline ones: those get copied when quoted, cf 2021-09.

Hm… this is an issue on the user’s side, specifically the used mail client.
If you notice this in your own messages, select some text before opening the
reply. The mailer will usually only quote the selected content.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

“So the Americans are worried about having autistic Englishmen hacking into
the Pentagon Computer, but they are seriously considering Mitt Romney having
control of the Button.”
– Jeremy Hardy about the extradition of the UFO hacker, BBC News Quiz.