Re: Message size limit

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Message size limit
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 22:14:46 +0100

Le samedi 04 mars 2023 à 13:02 -0800, Saul Tobin a écrit :

Hard disagree on plain text emails.

I didn't really have a strong opinion re the whole discussion about message boards vs. email, but IMO the world has moved on to rich text email with embedded media. I think the reliance on plain text email as the standard for this mailing list detracts significantly from the conversation. Inlining images makes it much easier to communicate typesetting questions and also much easier to quickly respond, especially when viewing messages on a cell phone.

Rich text emails with embedded media should IMO be supported as first class citizens of the mailing list.

The list doesn't "support" or "not support" rich text or plain text email; mail clients do. The only thing that needs support for rich text emails on the list side is the list archives, and I never saw problems with HTML emails there. Inline images remain viewable inline (example).

So there is really little to be discussed about this; it's a personal choice of each person to send plain text or HTML emails in their daily communication, and you're unlikely to change their preferences.

(Speaking for myself, I switched to HTML emails some time ago to look less freaky in non-technical contexts, but I cheat: I compose my email in Markdown, so I can still write as plain text :-)