Re: removing `--show-rules` option of `convert-ly`?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: removing `--show-rules` option of `convert-ly`?
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 18:15:00 +0000 (UTC)

> > who has ever used option `--show-rules` of `convert-ly`, except for
> > being curious what this option does?
> >
> > In https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1854 we are
> > discussing whether it would make sense to remove it.
>
> I've definitely used it a number of times over the years, [...]
>
> Regarding the discussion in the merge request, I don't see any
> reason to translate these messages.  I wouldn't expect a lot of
> users who use the feature and don't know English sufficiently well
> to be able to decipher what it's about, especially since the
> Lilypond syntax itself is language independent.

I agree, thus suggesting the following:

* Remove translation marks (will soon push this to the above merge
  request).

* Replace `--show-rules` with a more common `--verbose` option to show
  rule descriptions while `convert-ly` is running.  Right now,
  `--show-rules` only emits the rules but doesn't do a conversion at
  the same time, which is rather useless IMHO.  Not sure whether my
  Python abilities are good enough to implement this feature; anyway,
  this will be a separate merge request.

     Werner