Cues and Rest Collision Warning

From: Archer Endrich
Subject: Cues and Rest Collision Warning
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 11:54:20 +0000

Dear Lilypond User Group,

First of all, thanks for the great discussion about variables and Bookpart.  I had very recently come across that problem, though in simpler form:  just putting a variable definition directly into a file that used \book (for assembling several short scores). Placing the definition outside \book made it all work perfectly.

I have another problem with a very simple use of cues, using code as in the Notation Manual.  This is my example:

%CuesandRestCollisions.ly
\version "2.22.1"

\header {
  title = "Cues and Rest Collision Warning"
}

\markup \vspace  #1

\score {

  \new Staff {
    \time 4/4
    \clef treble

    g'1^\markup{Fl 1} |
      <<
          { c'1\rest }
            \new CueVoice {
                r4^"Oboe cue" \stemUp g'8->([ a'] ~ a'2) |
          }

    r2^\markup{Fl 1} bes'8->\sfz\>([ a'] ~ a'4\!\p\<) ~ |

\layout { }

This compiles OK but gives the warning :  cannot resolve rest collision:  rest direction not set

The reason I used c'1\rest was so that the rest would be placed on the bottom line of the Staff.  I would really like a centered rest (R1) but this automatically places it on the 2nd line from the top, which does conflict with the music of the cue.

Why does it worry about a 'rest direction' (whatever that is), especially when it is a breve rest.  Is there a way to avoid the warning.

Cues are minimal in this piece, so I didn't want to use a separate staff.

Finally, is it common practice to include the rest (for the instrument playing that part) along with the cue, which is distinguished by its smaller notes?

Thank you,

Archer