linterna-magica-users

Re: [linterna-magica-users] [Trisquel-users] Linterna Magica problem

From: Ivaylo Valkov
Subject: Re: [linterna-magica-users] [Trisquel-users] Linterna Magica problem
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:20:09 +0200

В 20:33 +0100 на 02.12.2011 (пт), address@hidden написа:

> I would also love to get Linterna Magica on the Freerunner, but I don't think
>
> it would really make much difference as there is no H.264 support on it (it
> only supports MPEG4).

Well, there was a proof of concept code for mplayer from Andrzej
Zaborowski, that used the Glamo chip to do hardware decoding of H.263
and MPEG-4. [1] I got the impression the life of the code ended with his
blog post from 2008. Haven't tested it myself so far.

> Did you manage to get Linterna Magica to work with
> Midori there (e.g. on Hackable:1 or SHR)?

As far as I remember I've tried Midori on QTMoko, but it was dead slow,
next to useless compared to Arora. After that discovery I had no desire
to test Linterna Mágica on the FreeRunner with Midori. Haven't tested
with SHR and Hackable:1. I find SHR too slow and unpredictable. The last
time I've tested Hackable:1, I found it too limited and unusable for
daily phone. I'm stuck with QTMoko as the fastest and most stable
distribution, excluding random crashes once/few time(s) per month/few
months. Meant to test pure Debian with some UI, but either had no time
for it or I had problems debootstrapping.

BTW there was a rumor that unnamed future version of Trisquel might
support ARM. That will be awesome to test (and possibly run) on the
FreeRunner with good and light UI. :)

I'm dreaming for a better, stable and faster distribution for the
FreeRunner. I'll probably keep dreaming. :)

> Anyway, Arora seems to be very
> stable and loads websites very fast so I thought Linterna Magica would be
> nice so I wouldn't need to switch browsers to watch a quick video.

I can't promise anything. The Arora integration requires C skills. Mine
are little bit rusty, if I had them at all, at a good level, and I'm not
in the mood for C right now.

P.S. A copy was sent to linterna-magica-users at nongnu dot org. If you
are replying via e-mail, please keep it.

[1]
https://unadventure.wordpress.com/2008/06/08/accelerating-in-my-pocket/