lmi

Re: [lmi] Question about using fardels

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Question about using fardels
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 18:40:49 +0200

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 02:28:09 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 2020-09-21 21:53, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  After using "make fardel" for performance testing, as shown in your
GC> > emails, I've realized that I don't actually understand how is it supposed
GC> > to work: it seems to create all the files in a single directory, unlike a
GC> > normal lmi installation which uses separate "bin" and "data" directories,
GC> > and using this directory itself as "data" doesn't work for me, as it
GC> > results in an error message:
GC> >
GC> >   % ./lmi_cli_shared.exe --accept --data_path=. --selftest
GC> >   Value 'sample2naic' invalid for type 'ce_product_name'.
GC> >   [ce_product_name.cpp : 145]
GC>
GC> I've never seen anything like that, so I'm sure I won't be able
GC> to reproduce it. Let's see...
GC>
GC> /tmp/lmi-20200921T1150Z[126]$wine ./lmi_cli_shared.exe --accept
--data_path=. --selftest
GC> Value 'sample2naic' invalid for type 'ce_product_name'.
GC> [ce_product_name.cpp : 145]
GC>
GC> Oh. Hmmm.
GC>
GC> Wait...the message really means what it says, once you see
GC> what it means: there are no 'sample2naic' product files on
GC> the data path.

 Could I timidly suggest that reformulating this error message as "product
files for product 'sample2naic' not found" could be helpful?

GC> To fix that, brutally [but see below instead]:

 Thanks for fixing this!

GC> > but I'd still like to understand: aren't fardels not
GC> > supposed to be self-contained? So perhaps I'm just using them wrong? But
GC> > what is the right way to use them then?
GC>
GC> You're using them the right way. And if you pull commit b99f6ac4f5498,
GC> the right way will actually work. You can use '--data_path=.' if you
GC> want, or you can just omit that and let it default to '.'.
GC>
GC> Thanks for reporting this defect.

 Encouraged by your thanks (no good deed goes unpunished...) I'd like to
report that a few more files seem to be missing from fardels:

- company_logo.png and group_quote_banner.png: I think those should be
  included, as there really doesn't seem any reason not to, and this would
  make lmi user-friendlier as everybody likes dogs.

- configurable_settings.xml: I'm less sure about this one, but the fact is
  that it must be created before doing anything with lmi.

- This is a negatively missing file: I wonder if wx_test.exe should be
  included in the fardel? It's a relatively big (I wonder why is it so
  big, in fact...) file which isn't necessary for using lmi and other
  tests are not included, so why is this one?

 BTW I really like the idea of fardels as, if they really work as
advertised, i.e. are completely self-contained, it would make testing lmi
more convenient. Now if I only could build it in a self-contained way...

 Thanks again for the fix and, of course, the remaining issues are
absolutely _not_ urgent, even if they're valid at all. I only mention them
for completeness, as I don't have any real need to use fardels.

VZ