lmi

Re: [lmi] Question about using fardels

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Question about using fardels
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 20:29:50 +0200

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 09:45:24 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 2020-09-22 16:40, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
GC> >  Encouraged by your thanks (no good deed goes unpunished...) I'd like to
GC> > report that a few more files seem to be missing from fardels:
GC> >
GC> > - company_logo.png and group_quote_banner.png: I think those should be
GC> >   included, as there really doesn't seem any reason not to, and this would
GC> >   make lmi user-friendlier as everybody likes dogs.
GC> >
GC> > - configurable_settings.xml: I'm less sure about this one, but the fact is
GC> >   that it must be created before doing anything with lmi.
GC>
GC> All three of those files are in my fardels, because of this
GC> in 'workhorse.make':
GC>
GC> wrap_fardel:
GC>     @$(INSTALL) -m 0664 $(datadir)/configurable_settings.xml .
GC>     @$(INSTALL) -m 0664 $(datadir)/company_logo.png .
GC>     @$(INSTALL) -m 0664 $(datadir)/group_quote_banner.png .
GC>
GC> I believe 'make install', which is a prerequisite of 'fardel',
GC> should have installed those three files to $datadir. Any idea
GC> where this went wrong?

 Sorry, it went wrong in my recollection/transcription of what happened.
The actual problem was that these files don't exist if you just run "make
fardel", without running the full install_msw.sh. I'm not sure if it's
really a problem for you, but I find it slightly illogical that making a
fardel, which, after all, provides another way of installing lmi, requires
having already run the installation script.

 As always, ideal, from my point of view, would be to be able to run "make
whatever" from just lmi checkout, without installing anything else
system-wide nor requiring access to "/opt" or any other fixed paths at all.
We're very far from this right now, of course, but if "make fardel" could
work like this, it would be already quite nice.

 BTW, I'm thinking of making the automated CI builds on GitHub produce
fardel as their "artefact" on output. This would be convenient for me, but
perhaps it could be useful to have fardels automatically built for each new
commit for you as well?

 Regards,
VZ