lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 6fa7a46 1/2: Add a git post-checkout hook

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 6fa7a46 1/2: Add a git post-checkout hook
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 15:06:53 +0200

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:32:19 -0400 (EDT) Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> branch: master
GC> commit 6fa7a460431709c4db1bc125a2fad0ebe2b90354
GC> Author: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC> Commit: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC>
GC>     Add a git post-checkout hook
GC>
GC>     Does nothing if you are not I.

 I'm not you, so this doesn't affect me at all, but I wonder if you could
find git-worktree useful with fulfilling the stated motivation. By adding
another work-tree, you could have a clean checkout not affected by any of
your changes in the main one, but without the inconvenience of maintaining
a completely separate checkout and doubling the disk space used (which is
not that much currently, but it could change once we move to using
submodules, as e.g. wx submodule already weights quite respectably).

 Of course, I also think you should ditch any file-comparison programs
which don't allow you to indicate that you want to compare files by their
contents only, disregarding the modification time. But, as already
mentioned above, I'm not you, so you probably have some specific reasons to
do this...

 I still recommend looking into git-worktree, it's quite convenient when
working on long(ish) term branches. And, of course, once you've finished
working with a branch, you can just drop the corresponding worktree.

 Regards,
VZ