lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 6fa7a46 1/2: Add a git post-checkout hook

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 6fa7a46 1/2: Add a git post-checkout hook
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 23:40:32 +0000

On 2020-09-24 13:06, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:32:19 -0400 (EDT) Greg Chicares
> <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
> GC>     Add a git post-checkout hook
> GC>
> GC>     Does nothing if you are not I.
>
>  I'm not you, so this doesn't affect me at all, but I wonder if you could
> find git-worktree useful with fulfilling the stated motivation.

Someday I'll look into it. Every git feature seems daunting
if you try to learn from the manuals, and git's user interface
is not intuitive. But I'm using git-stash and git-branch all
the time despite initial reservations, so maybe I should invest
time in learning git-worktree, when I have time to invest.

>  Of course, I also think you should ditch any file-comparison programs
> which don't allow you to indicate that you want to compare files by their
> contents only, disregarding the modification time. But, as already
> mentioned above, I'm not you, so you probably have some specific reasons to
> do this...

Speed. I often compare two 128-MB directories of regression
tests, for example, and it's distressing to watch them load
slowly. (You might think that regression-test output would
always have different timestamps than saved "touchstone"
results, but...well, no, not always, for reasons that are
important to me but not really worth explaining.) Ignoring
files that have the same timestamp is a useful option.