lout-users

How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page? (part2)

From: Julius Paul Malkiewicz
Subject: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page? (part2)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 17:22:54 +1100

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995 17:14:46 +1100; Julius Paul Malkiewicz writes:

>       extend @DocumentLayout
>       def @FFiigg { @FigurePlace }
>
> the "extend @DocumentLayout" is needed since we cannot normally use
> @FigurePlace in normal documents (it doesn't get exported by DocumentLayout).
>
> Anyway ... you need to also add spaces above and below this (I think ..
> perhaps use @TopGap in the definition itself!).
>
> I hope this help .. (perhaps not, given the other replies that you've had.)
> But ... perhaps somebody else may like it a little better 8->.

OOPS! I forgot to mention.  You can use this with normal @Figures, BUT,
the have to come before the "@FFiigg" ... this is because the @Figure looks at
the *next* @FigurePlace (which normally is at the top of next page !).

BUT !! (disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer) .. this won't fill text into
a place where text could normally go .. (ie .. if @FFiigg happens to fall at the
bottom of a page, AND the figure was too large to fit, then the bottom of that
page will not be filled (rather left blank), because the object just gets
moved into the nearest available space.  I guess this is the BIG reason that I
didn't use this ..... but perhaps it is appropriate for someone else (you
did say you really just wanted the figures in a paricular place, with
captions, etc!, didn't you?),