lout-users

How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page? (part2)

From: Ted Harding
Subject: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page? (part2)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:21:07 +0000 (GMT)

( Re Message From: Julius Paul Malkiewicz )
> On Fri, 10 Nov 1995 17:14:46 +1100; Julius Paul Malkiewicz writes:
> >
> >     extend @DocumentLayout
> >     def @FFiigg { @FigurePlace }
> >
> > the "extend @DocumentLayout" is needed since we cannot normally use
> > @FigurePlace in normal documents (it doesn't get exported by
> > DocumentLayout).
> OOPS! I forgot to mention.  You can use this with normal @Figures, BUT,
> the have to come before the "@FFiigg" ... this is because the @Figure looks at
> the *next* @FigurePlace (which normally is at the top of next page !).
>
> BUT !! (disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer) .. this won't fill text into
> a place where text could normally go .. (ie .. if @FFiigg happens to fall at
> the
> bottom of a page, AND the figure was too large to fit, then the bottom of that
> page will not be filled (rather left blank), because the object just gets
> moved into the nearest available space.  I guess this is the BIG reason that I
> didn't use this ..... but perhaps it is appropriate for someone else (you
> did say you really just wanted the figures in a paricular place, with
> captions, etc!, didn't you?),

I've been following this with interest. May I ask a naive question,
namely: Why is it that lout doesn't implement a floating keep which would
work for *anything* (text, table, figure, ... )?

Since lout's basic concept is a box, this might be more straightforward
at the basic level than it is for, say, troff (which uses a less easily
manageable "diversion" mechanism, but none the less has a very smooth
floating keep implemented in macros).

Best wishes to all,
Ted.                                    (address@hidden)