lout-users

Macintosh port of Lout (sort of)

From: Tom Gordon
Subject: Macintosh port of Lout (sort of)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 08:59:53 +0100

Due to the problem with calling "sort", and a lack of time, I still
haven't finished porting Lout to the Macintosh OS.

But .... I have found another way to use Lout on the Mac.  Have you
heard of MachTen?  It is a Unix implementation which runs as a Macintosh
program, on top of Mac OS.   Its a beautiful integration of the Mac and
Unix. The PowerPC native code version is quite fast and, due to dynamic
shared libraries, quite compact.  It uses only about 35 MB of hard disk
space and about 4 MB of RAM.  The 35 MB includes all the usual Unix
utilities, including the GNU development environment (gcc and friends).
(See http://www.tenon.com for further information, if you are interested.)

I was able to compile and install Lout with no significant changes to
the makefile.  It seems to work just fine.

A "real" Mac port of Lout would still be nice for those who do not
want or need a Unix environment, or want to pay several hundred dollars
for MachTen just to use Lout.

Tom Gordon

Dr. Thomas F. Gordon
GMD, FIT-KI; Schloss Birlinghoven