lout-users

Re: figures and tables

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: figures and tables
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 96 21:30:53 -0500 (EST)

[ On Tue, February 20, 1996 at 10:37:48 (+1000), Jeff Kingston wrote: ]
> Subject: figures and tables
>
> Please let me have your comments on the following.  It isn't
> implemented yet, but I'm pretty sure I know how to do it.

I think this feature would be very useful indeed.  I've only a few
comments, or rather questions....

>           PageFoot      The  figure   will  appear  at  the  foot
>                         of  the  current page,  or,  if there  is
>                         insufficient  space  there,  at  the  top
>                         of  the following page  and so on  as for
>                         PageTop.

Why would PageFoot not continue to keep the meaning it implies --
i.e. why would it not appear at the *foot* of the following page, or if
there is not sufficient space there, at the *foot* of the page
thereafter, and so on?

>           ColTop        As  for   PageTop,  replacing  `page'  by
>                         `column'.

What is the behavior of PageTop, etc., when used in a multi-column
document?  Is there any difference between PageTop and ColTop, etc., for
documents with one column?

>           The numbers  assigned to figures and  tables, and their
>      ordering in any list of figures or tables, is based on where
>      they appear in the final printed document, not on where they
>      appear in the  source files.  This is better  for the reader
>      in the unusual  case of a fixed figure being  overtaken by a
>      floating one.

Yes, most definitely....

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734                 VE3TCP                  robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>; Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>