lout-users

Re: Lout Version 3.07 sneak preview

From: Andrew Cassin
Subject: Re: Lout Version 3.07 sneak preview
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:17:59 +1000 (EST)

> If you are looking for a stable version, hold off for a while
> while the more adventurous test this release.  As usual, all
> comments and suggestions welcome.

If, like me, you have trouble deciding if you are adventurous or not :)
here is a summary of the changes in this release: (from lout.3.07/whatsnew)

    Bug fixes
    @URL field added to references
    @LongFootNote, @LongEndNote, @LongCaption stupidity removed
    Matrices and delimiters in equations improved
    Captions to figures and tables may be above or below
    Theorems, definitions, claims, propositions, lemmas, corollaries, examples
    Words like "Chapter" and "Theorem" may be changed by the user
    Numbered displays have been re-implemented and are much improved
    @RightDisplay symbol
    @F symbol added as synonym for { Courier Base -1p } @Font ...
    Ability to set simple document options in the command line
    Horizontal galleys (for expert users)
    Drop capitals (large capitals in top left corner of paragraph)
    Optimal body text breaking (makes large in-line displays practical)
    More flexible control of the format of chapter, section etc. headings
    Option for starting chapters etc. on any, odd, or even pages
    Command line option -S for safe execution (prohibits calls to system())
    Symbols for up to three independent indexes at the end of each document
    References work now when the citation point is after the reference list
    Placement of objects at arbitrary points on the page
    Reference lists may be before or after appendices
    Choice of nine locations for figures and tables (page top, foot, etc.)
    Numbering of footnotes works properly in all unusual cases now
    Database index files created afresh automatically if system has stat()
    Choice of rules for spaces between words (like Lout, troff, or TeX)
    Spacing in equations (both eq and teq) further improved
    Kerning of accented characters deduced from corresponding unaccented ones
    @NotRevealed symbol (for expert users)
    Another, hopefully better attempt made at Latin-2 formatting

> Thanks to all those who contributed to the new version.

and much thanks to jeff for his continued excellent work. Heartfelt thanks!

ACAS