lout-users

Re: German Quotes

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: German Quotes
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 19:20:51 +0400 (MSD)

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Jan Wender wrote:

> Does someone know how to get the first of german quotes, i.e. ,,
> and '' (poor ASCII rendition), in lout? The second is the closing
> american quote, but I did not find the opening one anywhere. Simply
> using two commas will not work because of the wrong interletter
> space.

I use

        def ",,"        { @Char "quotedblbase"  }
        def "..."       { @Char "ellipsis"      }

It seems, that Joachim Walsdorff already told this in German (as far
as I can guess, Ich sprache kein Deutch, alas, as well as many other
people on this list). He mentoined ,,castrated'' encoding vectors, but
fortunately in 3.08 there's LtLatin1.LCM that has these additional
symbols, and fontdefs file uses this ,,non-castrated'' map.

JW> Warum sie (und andere vorhandene Zeichen) im Lout nicht vordefiniert
JW> sind, ist mir unklar; wenn man nicht weiss, wofuer vorhandene
JW> Zeichen gut sind, sollte man sie im Zweifelsfalle lieber mitfuehren.

I miss JW's opinion here, but as I understand it's unclear to him, why
Lout doesn't predefine these symbols. Perhaps it's better to leave it
up to user to decide on the punctuation nuances. But it seems the
topic was already discussed on the list.

Best regards!

SY, Uwe.
--------
address@hidden                          |       Zu Grunde kommen