lout-users

Re: German Quotes

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: German Quotes
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 15:31:42 +0400 (MSD)

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Jan Wender wrote:

> Actually I did not find them in LtLatin1.LCM from lout 3.08. There are
> quotedblleft and -right, but not base. I then simply added one entry for
> quotedblbase and used the above def, and it works now. Has this any side
> effects?

Oops, sorry. I just glanced at the comment at the top of that file and
confused -left with -base. The document I cut-and-pasted the
definition of ",," and "..." is in Russian and I have all these
symbols in my LCM file for Russian font encoding.

[...]
> Since I missed this discussion, I'd like to get a summary.

There was a long thread on extra space after punctuation marks, and
someone (Jeff as I recall) proposed to redefine punctuation marks to
do right things as needed. I plan to grab a russian style guide
printed in 80s (fortunately it's priced very low :) and put its
recommendations in the form of Lout definitions and try it out.

> I for one would like to see the quotedblbase, quotesinglbase and
> ellipsis added to the standard encoding. Its always a source of
> problems if you do something nonstandard, eg. more hassle with
> updates.

Complain loutly and Jeff will hear you.

Best regards!

SY, Uwe.