lout-users

RE: Spaces after commas

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: Spaces after commas
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:49:59 +0100 (BST)

On 14-Sep-98 David Miller x4963 wrote:
> This isn't really a Lout specific question, but I thought that users
> may
> know the answer:
>
> How many spaces should there be after a comma? Are there any rules
> regarding spaces after punctuation marks? What are they?

As I understand it: In normal text, within-sentence punctuation (comma,
semicolon, colon) is followed by a standard inter-word space (though a
touch of kerning may improve appearance in some fonts). A full-stop at
the end of a sentence is usually though not necessarily followed by a
space somewhat longer than an inter-word space (though less than two
spaces). Non-punctuation full-stop (e.g. in decimals, abbreviations etc)
should not be followed by extra space, i.e. in decimal numerals no
following space at all, in abbreviations a normal inter-word space. In
abbreviations, when spaces are stretched or compressed to fill lines it
may be advisable to ensure a non-stretchable space so that the result
does not look funny in extreme cases --

e.g.

  In    the    opinion    of    J.F. Rigby,    the    results    show

might look better than

  In    the    opinion    of    J.F.    Rigby,    the    results    show

In mathematical notation, where commas, semicolons and colons, even
full-stops, serve special purposes, special rules apply depending on
context.

Hope this helps -- just a personal opinion since I don't know of a
definitive standard for these things.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 14-Sep-98                                       Time: 14:49:59