lout-users

novice questions bibtex references

From: Henry Harpending
Subject: novice questions bibtex references
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:40:04 -0700 (MST)

I have just discovered lout and it seems very attractive.  The Expert's
Guide is some of the best technical writing I have seen in a long time.
But it does seem to have a difficult limit for academic writing: the
reference facility is not as flexible as, say, bibtex.  Worse, there is
no intermediate  file (a .bbl file in latex) that can be edited.  One
journal wants a citation to look like (Curly, Moe, and Larry, 1953), the
next one wants [Curly et al. 1953], etc.

My perhaps ignorant first impression is that it should be simple to use
bibtex with lout.  Some awk and sed (I don't know Perl) could generate a
.aux file like bibtex wants, then some more could insert the generated
citations back in the lout document.  It would not be difficult to
modify available bibtex bibliography style (.bst) files to emit lout
rather than TeX.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks, Henry Harpending

--
Henry Harpending           address@hidden
Department of Anthropology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City UT 84112