lout-users

On Unicode

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: On Unicode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:53:48 -0700 (MST)

I've been wondering if there would be an easy way for Unicode
implementations. I came up with the following idea.

Unicode contains all the characters in standard ASCII, so one could use
those as normal ASCII characters, for example, @End with @,E,n,d would be
encoded with the two-byte unicode numbers, according to the unicode
standard, just that it would take up 8 bytes instead of 4. Lout could read
the file by words instead of bytes, and handle everything accordingly.

An editor handling unicode could be used to write source files, I think
that there are some editors like that. It would solve the problem of
character sets for good, and there would be no need to use them.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know whether it would be hard to
do, or would it require any major change in the design of Lout. Any
comments?

jabberwock

#   "Users?" cried the Consultant in disbelief. "Users?! You mean
#   secretaries, accountants, architects. Manual laborers!"