lout-users

Re: Cyrillic fonts for Lout 3.13

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Cyrillic fonts for Lout 3.13
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:09:44 +0400

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 03:49:39PM +0800, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Could you please explain to me, where I should obtain the Cyrillic
> fonts for Lout 3.13 and how I should install them.  The README file
> gives the impression that they can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.cs.su.oz.au/jeff, but I could not find them there.

That's a false impression.  If one of README's gives it, it should be
fixed.

You can use any Type1/Type3 font with Lout.  Unfortunately, there're
no widely available cyrillic body types, like those from Adobe's 14
standard fonts.  Fonts listed in the russian.fd turned out to be
pirated and so AFM's for them are no longer distributed (and, BTW, the
distributed russian.fd should probably be cut down to the header
comment only to match this).

If you don't want to engage in font piracy (which you surely don't)
you still have some pretty viable options.

. ParaType has some free fonts on their web site (www.paratype.ru or
  www.paratype.com).  In particular they have russian Courier (with
  pseudo-graphic BTW).

. ParaType was contracted by government's Foundadtion for Fundamental
  Science (or whatever is the correct rendition of their name in
  English; you can never tell with those pompous bureaucratic titles)
  to develop a body type for publications sponsored by the Foundation.
  ParaType has developed a variant of Literaturnaya that covers
  ISO-8859-5 and LaTeX's T1 and TS1 encodings, and so should be
  sufficient for most of European languges (unlike Adobe's fonts it do
  have Aogonek, Idot &c).

  The fonts are intended to be freely redistributable for the use with
  TeX (TeX is endorsed by the Foundation).  Unfortunately, the license
  for these fonts is so brain dead, terse and written in so poor
  pidgin legalese, that it's very hard to tell where the border lies.
  There're some clauses in their license that allow you to use the
  fonts with Lout and stay on the safe side.

  This was extensively discussed in fido7.ru.dtp.fonts - check the
  dejanews.  You can probably contact Alexander Berdnikov (one of top
  notch russian TeXperts) for further details.  These fonts can only
  be redistributed as part of TeX distribution from the Foundadtion
  (but used with any TeX distribution) so no URL to grab them from (I
  told you, the license is brain dead).

. CTAN carries cyrillic cm fonts in Type1 format converted by Basyle
  Malyshev (Lout's teq uses TeX's math fonts converted by him).

. If you are on a Windows machine, you probably can convert Windows
  fonts to Type1.  I belive that this is ok, since you use the same
  fonts on the same machine, I belive you can't use those converted
  fonts on another machine, e.g. a unix box.  You have to check the
  license.  In fact, I believe that you can get away with using only
  metrics for the original TTF's and use GhostScript (which groks TTF)
  to print.

Installing fonts, or rather making fonts known to Lout is easy.  Just
look at the comment in fontdefs and write a line for the new font.

Hope it helps.

SY, Uwe