lout-users

Re: text around illustrations (ctd.)

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: text around illustrations (ctd.)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:43:21 +0400

On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 10:40:24AM +1000, Jeff Kingston wrote:

> Uwe makes an interesting point about the need to limit the height
> of the section of the paragraph beside the illustration when using
> a horizontal galley to make text flow around an illustration.
>
> ... it would be a minor thing to add a symbol to Lout which took its
> height from whatever was inside itself already (like, say,
> @VContract does now) but which refused to enlarge itself to
> accommodate material from incoming galleys.  It would in fact be a
> @High symbol which took its height not from a parameter but rather
> from the height of its initial contents - trivial really.

Yes, I was thinking about some means to say that in A || B Lout should
first size the B and then constrain A to be height(b) @High (or vice
versa), and similarly for // and @Wide.  When constrained symbol is
receiptive, that seems exactly what you're talking about.  I'm not
sure yet if my concept of this feature can be usefully applied to
non-receiptive symbols.

SY, Uwe