lout-users

Unicode version of Lout

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Unicode version of Lout
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 09:55:05 +1000

I don't have a lot of time to contribute to this project, but I would
love to see it happen.  The most useful contribution I could make, I
imagine, would be to enhance the "layout engine" so that it can fill
paragraphs in unusual directions.

While I don't mind the work being called UmLout or something while
it is in progress, surely the ultimate aim is to fold it into the
main line of Lout versions.  We're not big enough to support multiple
versions offered at multiple sites, imo.

I wonder whether this initiative would be a vehicle for widening the
guardianship of Lout to a group of interested users.  I've
noticed a tendency recently for requests for additions to either be
clearly beyond the scope of Lout, and hence ruled out, or else to be
minor things that don't touch the deeper parts of the system, which
suggests that my unique expertise is gradually becoming less necessary
to the future of Lout.

On one technical point, there is a design issue in the matter of
language vs paragraph fill direction.  As I understand it, these
are not tightly linked - Chinese, I believe, can go in at least
two directions, for example.

Jeff