lout-users

Re: Unicode version of Lout

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Unicode version of Lout
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 05:11:36 +0400

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 09:55:05AM +1000, Jeff Kingston wrote:

First, let me give a context to Jeff's message.

Quite some time ago I've asked if people are interested in discussing
unicode version of Lout and invited anyone intreseted to drop me a
private email so that, if there's enough interest, I would setup a
separate mailing list for hammering out the gory technical details.

Few people expressed interest, so I created a separate list:

    address@hidden               - postings

So what Jeff is answering is my first post to the new list.

> While I don't mind the work being called UmLout or something while
> it is in progress, surely the ultimate aim is to fold it into the
> main line of Lout versions.  We're not big enough to support multiple
> versions offered at multiple sites, imo.

As I wrote in that message of mine, the "codename" was more of joke.
If unicode Lout will ever happen (which is not soon, I guess), it
should be folded into the main code base.  No split intended, we are
definitely not big enough.

> ... which suggests that my unique expertise is gradually becoming
> less necessary to the future of Lout.

Language-wise: inherited characteristics(?).  Internals-wise: modular
interface to backends (instead of switches), union rec have grown to a
critical size (I mean human factor rather then storage, at the very
least it should be thoroughly documented).

> On one technical point, there is a design issue in the matter of
> language vs paragraph fill direction.  As I understand it, these
> are not tightly linked - Chinese, I believe, can go in at least
> two directions, for example.

Yes, that's correct (line left-to-right with lines top-down and line
top-down with lines right-to-left, IIRC).

People already on the unilout list know who they are.  Others are
invited to join.  Please, bear in mind that this is a technical list.
Expertise required: generic I18N, fonts and I18N, Unicode, specific
languages/scripts (e.g. CJK).  Even if you don't plan to contribute
code, please consider joining if you can help with advise on the above
topics.

To subscribe send a message with the word "subscribe" in the subject
line to <address@hidden>.  If your From address is not
the address you would like to subscribe, put the correct address into
Reply-To header.

PS: Please, direct replies to <address@hidden>, unless they are
of general interest to the audience of the main list.  You have to
subscribe to be able to post, or your posts will be diverted to me
(damn spam inconvenience people even indirectly).

SY, Uwe