lout-users

Re: Drop adjusted capital

From: Giovanni Zezza
Subject: Re: Drop adjusted capital
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 21:25:07 +0100

Il Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:55:15 +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov scriveva:

>No.  Font metrics only specify bounding box of a glyph.

So I suspected.

Maybe with some PostScript stuff on font definitions.... but then it would
be simpler getting them by hand.

>Also, note that the widths of the "ladder" also depend on the font size
>you use, becuase lines will be "jamming" into the drop-cap at different
>heights.

I'm not sure to understand this. I use always the same size: 3 times the
height of the text font (or, more precisely, the line height); so lines
should reach proportionally the same heights and thus proportionally the
same distance from the capital.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I wasn't up to now able to figure it differently, even
through rough diagrams I've tried to draw.

Anyway, for that my abilities are concerned, this affects only the "easy"
part of the problem. In a way or another we may think to get eventually
this information, how complex as it has to be (we may think to restrict the
problem to a single font size, too, for now, and return to the "normal"
@DropCapThree in all other cases). Now starts, for me, the problem.

I've took a look at @DropCapTwo and @DropCapThree, but I'm not sure we can
simply add some shifts here and there.

Ciao.