lout-users

Spurious newlines in Tbl cell

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Spurious newlines in Tbl cell
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:35:37 +0000 (GMT)

I have been working on a CV layout.

In the example below the error occurs after the phrase "new systems,"
when an unnecessary and unwanted newline occurs. I have several entries
in the real CV and many of them have this problem. I have tried a different
font (gives same problem but on a different word); I have tried lout and
tex space, makes no difference; I have also tried it on a Solaris system -
same problem. I hope I'm making a silly mistake in my def. Any help would
be appreciated.

A complete example which goes wrong is included below followed by
details of my lout setup and some remarks.

# Start of lout
@SysInclude { doc }
@SysInclude { tbl }

def @HeadA right x { { AvantGarde Base 24p } @Font { x } }
def @HeadB right x { { AvantGarde Base 20p } @Font { x } }
def @HeadC right x { { AvantGarde Base 16p } @Font { x } }
def @HeadD right x { { AvantGarde Base 13p } @Font { x } }
def @Mono  right x { { Courier Base } @Font { x } }

def @Centred right x { clines @Break { x } }
def @ColAOffset { 4c }

def @Employment
    named @Employer {}
    named @Address  {}
    named @Role     {}
    named @Dates    {}
    right x
{
    @OneRow
    { ragged 1.2fx hyphen } @Break
    @Tbl
        width { expand }
        aformat { @StartHSpan
                  @Cell ruleleft { single } ruleright { single }
                  paint { darkgrey } { white } @Colour A |
                  @HSpan }                                 # Employer
        bformat { @StartHSpan
                  @Cell ruleleft { single } ruleright { single }
                  paint { lightgrey } A | @HSpan }         # Address
        cformat { @Cell ruleleft { single }
                  paint { lightgrey } width { 7c } A |     # Role
                  @Cell ruleright { single }
                  paint { lightgrey } indent { right } B } # Dates
        dformat { @StartHSpan @Cell A | @HSpan }           # Details
    {
        @Rowa A { @Employer }
        @Rowb A { @Address }
        @Rowc A { @BI { @Role } } B { @Dates }
        @Rowd rule { single } A { x }
    }
}

@Document
    @InitialBreak    { ragged 1.2fx nohyphen }
    @InitialFont     { Palatino Base 11p }
    @InitialSpace    { tex }
    @InitialLanguage { EnglishUK }
//
@Text @Begin
@LP
@Centred { @HeadA { Curriculum address@hidden ae} } }
@LP
@DP
@Employment
    @Employer { University of Xyzab, Cdefghi }
    @Address  { Administrative Computing Unit, The Jklmn,
                Opqrstuvw Park, Cdefghi, XY9 1ZA, UK }
    @Role     { Programmer }
    @Dates    { October 1892 - March 1897 }
{
I was involved in the evaluation and planning of the implementation of
an off-the-shelf student records system, with special emphasis on
matching it to existing system functionality, data transfer between the
old and new systems, project planning and staff training.
@LP
The legacy system used an Ingres database; the new system used Oracle 7.
}
@End @Text
# End of lout

# lout -V
Basser Lout Version 3.17 (September 1999)
Basser Lout written by:      Jeffrey H. Kingston (address@hidden)
Free source available from:  ftp://ftp.cs.usyd.edu.au/jeff/lout
This executable compiled:    19:12:26 Sep 29 1999
System include directory:    /usr/local/lib/lout/include
System database directory:   /usr/local/lib/lout/data
Database index files created afresh automatically: yes
Safe execution (disabling system()) is default: no
strcoll() used for sorting by default: yes

I'm using Debian/Linux 2.1 (slink) with 2.2.5-22 kernel on a P120 with
80Mb RAM.

I tried putting a ~ (non-breaking space) but that simply moved the break
along one word; so I kept adding ~'s after each word but then the break
moved back; so whatever I do the bad breaks occur.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mark.
Mark Summerfield         CHEST Software Manager         address@hidden
http://www.chest.ac.uk   EduServ (CHEST), PO Box 2674, Bath, BA2 7XY, UK
Tel +44 (0)1225 826043   Fax +44 (0)1225 826177       Mobile 0403 535803