lout-users

Re: Lout and Latin-2 + PDF

From: Stewart C. Russell
Subject: Re: Lout and Latin-2 + PDF
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:21:08 +0000

Eric Marsden wrote:

> I believe that Distiller (commercial) is able
> to embed fonts when converting from Postscript; perhaps ps2pdf from
> ghostview is also able to do so?

Ghostscript 6.0 will likely make a very good job of this, as long as the
font encoding table is 8-bit. This will work for most European
languages; CJKV fonts with thousands of characters still have problems.

It's very easy to get the fonts embedded; just add references to them in
the Fontmap.GS file, and ps2pdf will pick them up. This has actually
solved all the issues I have with Lout font embedding; no longer do I
need to futz about with includeres and renamed copies of font files.

ps2pdf is also very quick; it doesn't add noticeably to the processing
time.

--
Stewart C. Russell              Analyst Programmer, Dictionary Division
address@hidden  HarperCollins Publishers