lout-users

Re: installing TeX

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: installing TeX
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:28:12 +1000

> 24,25: fatal error: cannot write to database file

This is probably caused by a fault in the makefile that I intend to
fix but have not got around to.  In addition to installing the files,
the makefile ought to do an initializing run which installs file

    /usr/local/lout/lib/data/texfonts.li

a database index file.  When this file is missing Lout tries to
create it on the first use of teq, and at that state the running
process might not have write permission in that directory.

The solution is to run a sample document at the time of installation,
making sure that the relevant directory is writable.  Once the .li
file is in there it never changes, it just needs to be readable.
I will eventually add such a run to the teq makefile.

Jeff