lout-users

Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 02:49:29 +0400

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 16:40:09 +0200, Mark Christiaens wrote:

> I've made a report wich contains a large set of figures.  They are all
> placed one after the other in the source file.  Can I prevent my figures
> to be ordered in a different way in the resulting postscript file?
>
> Another related question.  This report has 2 columns.  I include figures
> with placement tag FullPage.  The figures are for some reason left
> justified although the @FigureFormat is { @CC @Body }.
>
> Just to get an idea what was happening, I surrounded the @FigureFormat
> with a @CurveBox as in the example on figures in section 2.6 of the user
> manual.  { @CurveBox @HExpand @CC @Body }
>
> Suddenly there appear additional curvedboxes underneath the figures when
> there is some whitespace left.  What's happening?

Suppose you have

    @Figure { short   } # a short figure
    @Figure { tall    } # a very tall figure
    @Figure { another } # a short figure

When lout tries to place these figures in the FullPage it first places
the first, short one.  Then it tries to place the second, tall one,
but 1) it's too tall to fit on the same page the short figure was
already placed, 2) there's no chance of splitting the figure into
components.  So lout tries to find a place to fit the tall figure as a
whole and finds it on the next page.  Then it tries to place the third
figure, not as tall as the second and it finds that the page with the
first figure have enough place for the third and so it puts it there.
That's why your figures are reordered.

The failed attempt to attach to FullPage place leaves an empty
component that is enclosed in @FigureFormat - hence the empty curved
box.

SY, Uwe