lout-users

Re: Hebrew and two questions

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Hebrew and two questions
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 05:35:40 +0300

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 22:21:50 -0800, Efraim Yawitz wrote:

> > Functional languages use (tail) recursion for iteration because
> > referential transparency precludes the use of iteration variables
>
> I finally got the message that Lout is a functional language after
> reading a bit about Scheme.

Only Scheme is not a functional language. ;-)

[ Gee, the fist page google search for "referential transparency" gave
  me was Wolfram Kahl's page (hi, Wolfram!) at
  <http://inf2-www.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de/kahl/reftrans.html> ]

> Still, how do I do a test like i < 10 ?

Lout (qua language) doesn't have any explicit arithmetic.  It has
rudimentary @Plus and @Minus and they are not even documented.
Usually you can work around this, but it depends on what you are
trying to accomplish.  Well, I'm not sure "work around" is the right
word, perhaps "reformulate" is better.

On several occasions Jeff told that he would like to base Lout's
"vaporware successor" on a real industry-strength functional language.

One shouldn't overlook the less visible contraint-satisfaction part of
Lout as well.  I own "Contraint Programming Languages.  Their
Specification and Generation." by Wm Leler (AW, 1988, ISBN
0-201-06243-7) and I think this is a very good introductory text.
(You'll see @Diag from a new perspective :).

SY, Uwe