lout-users

Re: Complex lout diagram doesn't print properly

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Complex lout diagram doesn't print properly
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:15:02 +1100

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:02:30 +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:

  > Hi all
  >
  > I have been quite impressed with lout diagrams so far, but I have one
  > which isn't printed properly. Simpler diagrams print fine as do some
  > larger ones I have, but this one, for which the lout source is attached,
  > doesn't.
  >
  > I do
  >     lout w.lout > w.ps
  > and gv then displays it how it should be. However, when I then print is
  > with lpr, all the printers I have access to stop half way through
  > printing it. I have lout 3.25 under Debian Linux.
  >

  > Any ideas?
  >
  > Thanks
  > Ian

If it works with gv, then the problem is probably a memory
problem in the printer - I get these myself with syntax
diagrams uncomfortably often.

I've found that converting the PostScript to PDF and then
printing that often fixes the problem, since the memory
hungry stuff is dealt with in the PDF conversion, leaving
just the drawing commands to send to the printer.

Jeff Kingston