lout-users

Re: Complex lout diagram doesn't print properly

From: Ian Lynagh
Subject: Re: Complex lout diagram doesn't print properly
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:25:50 +0000

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:15:02AM +1100, Jeff Kingston wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:02:30 +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>   >
>   > and gv then displays it how it should be. However, when I then print is
>   > with lpr, all the printers I have access to stop half way through
>   > printing it. I have lout 3.25 under Debian Linux.
>
> If it works with gv, then the problem is probably a memory
> problem in the printer - I get these myself with syntax
> diagrams uncomfortably often.

Ah, I hoped the fact it happened on multiple printers meant that wasn't
the cause. Oh well  :-(

> I've found that converting the PostScript to PDF and then
> printing that often fixes the problem, since the memory
> hungry stuff is dealt with in the PDF conversion, leaving
> just the drawing commands to send to the printer.

OK, I'll give this a whirl tomorrow, thanks.

While I am here, I have written a quick hack to remove unused functions
from lout-generated EPS files but I was wondering if there is anything
that does it properly around?

Thanks again
Ian