lout-users

RE: Problem including EPS made by Photoshop

From: ahoward
Subject: RE: Problem including EPS made by Photoshop
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:56:05 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

> I need to have a screenshot of a GUI window in one of my reports. I
> thought I've found a way by capturing a screenshot of the
> window as a GIF and then converting it to EPS in Photoshop. I get an
EPS
> alright and can view it without problems in Gsview but when I include
> it in the report Lout 3.24 says:
>
> $ lout t.lt > t.ps
> lout file "t.lt":
>     33,1: @IncludeGraphic deleted (bad first line in file browser.eps)

I've done a bit of EPS inclusion with lout.  Typically we've done
EPS files generated through Corel PhotoPaint, but I imagine Adobe
PhotoShop is similar.  For some reason, Corel will put binary
information at the beginning and end of the EPS file that lout
doesn't understand.  Perhaps there is some binary EPS format, but
I don't know.

At any rate, open your EPS file with a text editor and look at the
first line.  It should look like this:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0

EPS files saved by Corel would have a bunch of (what to me looked
like) crap in front of the "%!PS-Adobe" stuff.

I wrote a q&d app that would read in an EPS file and replace the
first line with "%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0" and truncate everything
after the "%%EOF" at the end.  Again, Corel put a bunch of binary
stuff after that.  Once I did that, lout had no problem with the
files.

The other thing to keep in mind is end-of-line (EOL) characters.
Our EPS files are generated on a PC, so they have CR+LF as EOL, but
we run lout on Linux, which expects the EPS file to have just LF as
EOL.  If lout is looking for LF and the file uses CRLF, you'll have
problems.  I wrote another q&d app for EOL conversions since I
couldn't find one that did exactly what I wanted.

Good luck,

-Aaron Howard