lout-users

Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more
Date: 22 Jun 2004 17:42:56 +0200

Hi,

the last weeks I have been migrating away from LaTeX to Lout, using it
for some university stuff, presentation slides, project reports etc.
Unfortunately some problems have occured, for which I haven't yet found
a satisfying solution.  Any Lout-guru who could help?

The most severe problem so far was that I completely failed to put a
200-line program into the appendix of a @SysInclude {report} document:

  @Appendix
    @Title { Benutzter Matlab bzw. Octave Quelltext }
  @Begin

    @PP @Verbatim { @Include { "../../crosscor.m" } }

  @End @Appendix

Lout says this:

  report.lout:203:3: 99.2c object too high for 23.7c space; will try
  elsewhere

I just realized, that if I use @Verbatim without a leading @PP, it will
work, however, spacing after the title would look very wrong.

Also, I tried @Perl and @Ruby instead of @Verbatim, which somehow
worked, but the lines would end up concatenated, with the whole source
being block-formatted.

Another problem: whenever I try to include images into my document, I
stumble into problems with @Figure.

When using @Location {Display}, with images that cover almost the
full-page, lout sometimes drops images in sequences of more than 2.
Using just @Display @IncludeGraphics helps, but I never managed to get a
@Caption into a @Display, which would look inconsistent.

Especially mixing different values with @Location throughtout a document
seemed to cause trouble.

I also wondered, whether there is an equivalent for "N @Wide @Scale"
that would fit something into a specified vertical space, which would
sometimes be comfortable for pictures.

Thanks for any help,

David