lout-users

Re: Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:10:51 +0200

Hi,

Today, 4 hours, 17 minutes, 0 second ago, David Kuehling wrote:
> The most severe problem so far was that I completely failed to put a
> 200-line program into the appendix of a @SysInclude {report} document:
>
>   @Appendix
>     @Title { Benutzter Matlab bzw. Octave Quelltext }
>   @Begin
>
>     @PP @Verbatim { @Include { "../../crosscor.m" } }
>
>   @End @Appendix
>
> Lout says this:
>
>   report.lout:203:3: 99.2c object too high for 23.7c space; will try
>   elsewhere
>
> I just realized, that if I use @Verbatim without a leading @PP, it will
> work, however, spacing after the title would look very wrong.

You might want to try something like:

  @LP
  lines @Break @F @Include { "thefile.m" }

where "thefile.m" have slashes, ampersands and pipes enclosed in double
quotes.

> Also, I tried @Perl and @Ruby instead of @Verbatim, which somehow
> worked, but the lines would end up concatenated, with the whole source
> being block-formatted.
>
> Another problem: whenever I try to include images into my document, I
> stumble into problems with @Figure.
>
> When using @Location {Display}, with images that cover almost the
> full-page, lout sometimes drops images in sequences of more than 2.
> Using just @Display @IncludeGraphics helps, but I never managed to get a
> @Caption into a @Display, which would look inconsistent.
>
> Especially mixing different values with @Location throughtout a document
> seemed to cause trouble.

Did you run Lout several times so that it can place floating figures
optimally?  You should set @OptimizePages to "No" in order to make sure
that Lout actually manages to do that.

> I also wondered, whether there is an equivalent for "N @Wide @Scale"
> that would fit something into a specified vertical space, which would
> sometimes be comfortable for pictures.

There exist @High.  @Scale might also be useful.

Thanks,
Ludovic.