lout-users

Re: Margin kerning

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Margin kerning
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:45:39 +1100

> BTW, Jeff, what are those "w" objects about?

These are just placeholder words that represent lines.  If you
look about 10 lines higher you can see a spot where I have
laboriously assigned a lot of style information, including
a font, to a similar word; but the trouble is there does
not seem to be any convenient font to assign to "w".

But this is for optimal pagination and has nothing to do
with margin kerning.  If you read through the code you
will see that its overall effect is to build a paragraph
of words representing the vertical components of the
document, called opt_components(hd).  This object is an
ACAT (a paragraph), initialized at z46.c line 178, and
assigned a style at z46.c line 181.  I bet you can fix
this problem by immediately following that style assignment
with an assignment to the margin kerning element of its
style that you have defined, turning off margin kerning,
something like

    margin_kerning(save_style(opt_constraints(hd))) = FALSE;

or whatever (I just forget the exact definition you used).
You can see a similar assignment there in the code,
turning off hyphenation.

Jeff