lout-users

Re: alternative monospaced font?

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: alternative monospaced font?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:11:06 +0200

On 2006-07-28 Mark Summerfield <address@hidden> wrote:

> You can use any "PostScript" font. (I don't believe you can use
> TrueType or OpenType for example, but I hope I am wrong!)

You can use TrueType fonts, for Lout you just need to generate an AFM
file (there are various tools for this job, e.g., [1]).

For direct printing to a PostScript printer, you need one that
supports Type 42 fonts (practically all Level 2 printers do) and you
need to wrap the TrueType font in a Type 42 wrapper.  There are also
tools for that; my includefonts filter [2], which I announced recently
on this list, can do this automatically, for example.  If you're using
Ghostscript, it can read TrueType fonts directly.  Just for
completeness, you can also convert TrueType fonts to Type 1, but with
Type 42 it's not necessary and it reduces the quality.

I don't have much experience with OpenType fonts, but
TrueType-flavored OpenType fonts are just TrueType fonts, so the same
should apply to them.  I don't know about Type 1-flavored OpenType
fonts, one probably hast to extract and unpack the CFF font
description and download it as a Type 1 font; there are certainly
tools for this, too.

Greetings

Footnotes:
[1]  <http://dynalabs.de/mxp/type/>