lout-users

Re: alternative monospaced font?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: alternative monospaced font?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:17:14 +0200

Hi,

Michael Piotrowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Just a quick clarification on these otherwise fine notes; you write:
>
>   Converting to the ASCII Type1 font format (PFA) which is the format
>   used by Lout [...]
>
> Actually, Lout doesn't care about the font format (Type 1, TrueType,
> OpenType, whatever) and the file format (PFB or PFA in the case of
> Type 1 fonts), it doesn't even need to know where the font files are
> stored, since it doesn't read them.  Lout only needs an AFM file to
> know the metrics of the characters so that it can calculate line
> breaks, etc.

Right.  I noticed that when looking for the link but was too lazy to fix
it.  ;-)

> For most purposes PFA files are more practical, and includeres
> requires fonts in PFA format.  Includefonts can also handle PFB files,
> but the makepsres utility, which is typically used to build the
> resource database used by includefonts, doesn't recognize PFB files.

Actually, `includeres' is a bit limited and hackish.  ;-)  I'd rather use
your `includefonts' or Ghostscript's font-embedding features now (it can
embed fonts when converting to PDF, with `ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress';
not sure whether it can do it for PS files as well but why not?).

Thanks,
Ludovic.