lout-users

Hyphenation

From: Jürgen H . Havix
Subject: Hyphenation
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:51:47 +0100 (MET)

This is a very special subject.

There are Hyphenations, although allowed, do not look and sound good.
In German, for instance, with a word like "ausserhalb", it is possible,
to write au-sserhalb, but the meaning of au (standing alone at the end
of the line) is something like "oh"(with pain!).

So I tried to force a hyphenation with "ausser&-halb", but that did not work,
Lout continued to hyphenate at au-sserhalb. The possible reason for that was,
that the syllable "ausser" did not fit into the line in this case, because
it was to long.
But then I would have liked lout to not hyphenate at all and write the
whole word into the next line.
Of course the solution was to write @OneCol, but i ask the question if you
would find it reasonable to prohibit a word from hyphenation at any other
syllable, if it contains a  "&-", but could not be hyphenatet because of
the layout?

Greetings
George