lout-users

Re: Hyphenation

From: Markku Sakkinen
Subject: Re: Hyphenation
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:47:30 +0200

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 07:09:54AM +1100, Jeff Kingston wrote:
> > Of course the solution was to write @OneCol, but i ask the
> > question if you would find it reasonable to prohibit a word
> > from hyphenation at any other syllable, if it contains a
> > "&-", but could not be hyphenated because of the layout?
>
> It sounds reasonable, but I believe I know a better solution.
> Lout's hyphenation files contain an optiona "exceptions"
> section, where you can override the hyphenation of any word
> by saying explicitly there what you want for that word.  So
> I think it would be better to add your word to the exceptions
> list, then you and everyone else can forget about it forever.

I don't think this is an optimal solution; it certainly isn't for
Finnish and other languages in which one word can have dozens (even
hundreds) of declined forms.  Refining the rules would be much better
for generic cases.

For occasional cases, a modification of the original suggestion
would be quite useful (and probably not very hard to implement):
if a "&-" is put _at the beginning_ of a word, the word will not
be hyphenated except at possible internal "&-" marks.  If I
remember right, groff works like this.

Markku